Monday, June 14, 2010

6-14-2010

The American flag - what does it mean to you? My father gave up his entire life to come to the U.S. and start over when he was in his mid-30's. He didn't know anyone and couldn't speak the language. Five years later he became an American citizen, and two months after that I was born. He spent the rest of his life living the American dream, and trying to help his own children - and other people's children - do the same.  My father was my first teacher. 

The Stars and Stripes 7:10 pm.

1 comment:

  1. my great-grandparents came from then Bohemia to Ellis Island and brought their three young children. He had been a tailor in his homeland but political unrest in their homeland (I believe) was a factor in them coming here. My great-grandfather died of heat stroke within two weeks of them being here and left my great-grandmother a widow with three children. They could not speak English either. She quickly remarried a man from their country and they raised their family (including more kids) as farmers in the midwest. It was not an easy life. I am humbled by their journey.

    ReplyDelete